For anyone who follows me on Instagram would have seen the new apartment spam on my MyStory. For those of you who don’t… Josh and I just moved from Brooklyn into the city again. Moving into an empty apartment, I’m going to show you how we fully furnished and re-designed it for only $1,000. We originally lived in Hell’s Kitchen when we first moved to NYC (typical tourists), then were persuaded into moving into Brooklyn (which was super cool), but wanted to be closer to work, friends, and everything on the island. We chose to move to a little East Village studio, and besides the noisy NYU students, frequent sirens and interesting things we hear outside our window each night, it is certainly countered by everything being at our fingertips.
Since we moved to NYC we have been living in sublets, which although is convenient and easy, is also difficult to make feel like home. With things getting more serious, we put a lease on an apartment – meaning we now needed to purchase all our furniture!
Here is a before of our little studio when we moved in:
Pretty small but at the same time, quite big for a studio on Manhattan. We had a pretty tight budget to buy furniture etc, which is why we searched on Craigslist and to find the best deals we could get. Below, is how we transformed our studio into a home for only $1,000.
- Bed Frame: Mandal Bed Frame $500USD / Purchased from Craigslist for $200USD
- Couch: Karlstand Sofa $400USD / Purchased from Craigslist for $120USD
- Large Mirror: Ronglan Mirror $100USD / Purchased on sale for $20USD
- Kitchen Island: Forhoja Cart $110USD
- Dining Table: Track Circular Dining Table $302 / Purchased on sale for $160USD
- Dining Chairs: Modernica Side Shell Chair $398USD / Purchased a replica, the Eiffel Wooden Dining Chair for $80USD for two
- Rug: Persian Rug $400 / Purchased from Craigslist $80USD
- TV: Samsung 40″ TV $1,200USD / Purchased from Craigslist for $100USD
- Plant: Ikea Plant and Basket $35USD
- Dresser: Essential Home Belmont 4 Drawer Dresser Chest x 2 $80USD
- Coat Rack: Dorman White Hookboard $15USD
Total: $1,000 *please note I haven’t included anything we already had (kitchenware, home accessories)
So there you have it – home sweet home. Hope you all love!